Re: Tor memory usage on embedded systems.

slush wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Im little bit confused with RAM usage of i686 box. Im running node with
> almost same bandwidth and after 6 days uptime, Tor process consumes only
> 37MB. What is different? My Tor version is  0.2.1.12-alpha (r18423).
>
> Marek
>
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 8:27 PM, basile <basile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> 1) node "simba" = i686 box with
>> BandwidthRate 150KB
>> BandwidthBurst 200KB
>>
>> Day       Total(MB)     Disk(MB)
>> 7            246               30
>> 9            247               31
>> 12          249               31
>> 16          255               31
>> 19          258               33
>> 21          261               33

The version I used is 0.2.0.33, but I realized that's not the issue.
The mistake I made in reporting these number is that on the i686 box I
used an initrd image in /dev/ram0 which is sized at 128MB.  Immediately
upon booting, "free" reports 133 MB of RAM in use just before starting
tor.   On the MIPS I used an initramfs image and "free" reports 5MB in
use at the same point.  It looks like my i686 numbers are messed up, too
high by 128 MB.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I'm trying to answer the question what is
the minimum amount of RAM required to run a bare minimum linux system
which can support a tor relay/exit/directory node.  Suggestions?

--

Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Chair of Information Technology

(716) 829-8197