What to do when you have less than 1000 file descriptors?

Hi all,
at first, sorry for the long topic name.. could not think of anything
shorter.

I had a problem with Tor on my NetBSD (4.0.1) box, it said:
Mar 15 17:51:09.357 [warn] We need 1000 file descriptors available, and
we're limited to 956. Please change your ulimit -n.
Mar 15 17:51:09.359 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Problem with
ConnLimit value. See logs for details.

ulimit doesnt help, because it would just set the current running
process.
Thanks to the guys in #netbsd on freenode, i discovered that you have to
control that through sysctl.

So, sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=3D8000 should do the job.

You can add this to /etc/sysctl.conf to apply the settings on boot time.
If you discovered the same problem on another system and try this
solution, let me know if it worked out.

Greetings,
Tim

"Zu unserer Besserung bedürfen wir eines Spiegels." - Arthur Schopenhauer