Re: How does TOR deal with mac addresses

On 3/26/2010 2:27 PM, Seth David Schoen wrote:
In the message you're replying to, "the ISP" means your ISP,
not some other ISP.  It's true that your ISP knows your home
router's MAC address.  Other ISPs don't.

    As an aside,

This is true, assuming the upstream protocol uses ethernet signaling, wasn't there some old point to point protocols where the MAC was ignored?

I seem to remember something like that. I know ATM, FDDI, Bluetooth, and PPP/PPPOE use MAC addresses. SLIP, if my old brain is functioning, did not.

I think there were others too. But I'm too old and salty to remember them all.

Xerox sure got some mileage off of ethernet addressing huh? I'm wondering if they made any money on it.

--
Michael Cozzi