Re: [tor-talk] How to protect a hidden service from DoS attacks?

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 11:09 PM,  <hikki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is it even possible? Since everyone is your entry node's IP, if you block it,
> no one will be able to connect to your service.
>
> Some people DoS hidden services to moderate you, making them unreadable.

DoS on the "external" internet seems to be 99% overloading the server
CPU that have badly written and bloated server-side scripts. To
protect from this, don't use badly written and bloated server-side
scripts.

Depending on what you use the service for, you can try to rate-limit
everything to something that is just above usable. I suppose this
wouldn't tax your server CPU with unnecessary encryption.