Re: [tor-talk] Iran cracks down on web dissident technology

On 3/20/2011 11:04 PM, Edward Langenback wrote:
Joe Btfsplk wrote:
On 3/20/2011 5:08 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
You've GOT to be kidding.  Tell me that's a mistake.  Tor Project,
dedicated to privacy&  anonymity, takes $ from DoD&  Sam?  While the US
spies on it's citizens, unconstitutionally?  That's rich.
Honestly, this enlightenment will make me reconsider ever using Tor for
anything I don't want sent directly to DC.  It's like trusting car
magazines' reviews that get their advertising $ from car manufacturers.
There is no way the fed is going to give $ to any "privacy" organization
w/o wanting something (cough, back door) in return.  Every ISP has been
forced into violating users' privacy.  Why would Tor project, after
taking $ from Sam, be any different?  OK users, go ahead&  stick your
head in the sand.

EVEN if it's not true, for me, Tor project has lost a good deal of its
credibility through its associations.  Of course, no government would
ever lie&  neither would a company (AT&T, Ford, Google, R.J. Reynolds...).
If I'm not mistaken, not only has TOR had at least some government /
DOD funding from the start, the original project was started by the
military.

This is well-known, publicly-available, and frankly, *old* information. Of course, Tor is in open-source project, so you're welcome to peruse the source for any backdoors and compile it for yourself, just to be sure.

~Justin Aplin