Re: [tor-talk] Operating system updates / software installation behind Tor Transparent Proxy

> Robert Ransom wrote:
> Use Tor 0.2.3.x-alpha, give the user 10 or more SocksPorts and 10 or
> more DNSPorts to point things which really need to be anonymous at,
> and no TransPort.

I think both are useful. Using TransPort as a safety packet log
and proxy catchall for whatever apps might defy Socks/DNS Ports
is a wise thing. One can use both together with appropriate rules.

And honestly, for the average user who may not be able to deal
with individual SOCKS app setups, TransPort is a general win.
Provided OS docs as to the forwarding filters exist.

One OS doc, or a hundred app docs, choose wisely for overall benefit.

> I'm all for auditing more applications, and then SOCKSifying them
> properly, so no one will need a transparent proxy.

Yes, a lofty goal. Yet respectfully, this is impossible. Torproject is not
applicationproject. The level of disjointness is far and the risk is merely
a bum commit appproject away. TransProxy is therefore a necessary
and welcome catchall.