Re: [tor-talk] Tor and HTTPS graphic

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 7:27 PM, Ted Smith <tedks@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 16:20 -0800, Seth David Schoen wrote:
>> I was concerned that the graphic should not make people think that
>> _no one_ can ever associate them with their browsing when they use
>> Tor. ÂI've been taught to think of the GPA threat (and other traffic
>> correlation threats) as real, so I thought people should have some
>> indication of those threats.
>
> Is it unfair to say that, properly used and in the context given in the
> graphic (using HTTP(S) websites), there is no known adversary that can
> associate them with their browsing? I'm not a full-time PET researcher,
> but smarter people than myself in this thread seem to think the GPA is
> more of a myth than a reality.

IMHO, the GPA a myth in the sense that some attacks attributed to a
GPA don't actually require it to be `global'. (Most Internet traffic
eventually passes through a few, very specific points, for example.)
But the attacks attributed to them are certainly not myths. I think
Paul Syverson explained it best above.