Re: [tor-talk] Who is 93.114.40.75? Tor check page lists it and says I'm not using Tor. Another user reported this, too.

>Roger Dingledine wrote:
>>On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 02:22:22AM -0000, ming@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Who is 93.114.40.75?
>>
>> The Tor check page lists it and says I'm not using Tor. Another user
>> reported this, too.

>That's a false negative. In this case it happens because the Tor relay
>exits from a different IP address than it advertises in its descriptor.

>The relay in this case is "proxyleaks", and its descriptor says it's
>reachable at 93.114.43.29.

> "I got repeatedly displayed 93.114.40.75 which is not the exit nodes IP
> address."

>The relay is multi-homed in this case: it has multiple IP addresses.
>That's perfectly normal, especially for fast relays.

>--Roger

There needs to be some solution to this problem other than just telling
people about it. This exit node is pretty fast and gets chosen by my
Tor clients about once every 10 times as the initial exit node. I get
to see that scary warning pretty regularly.  (It also makes me wonder
how random circuit selection is, but maybe that's just my bias because
it stands out).

One solution would be to patch Tor so exit nodes can declare if they
use mult-homing. The other would be to just patch Check.TPO and add
that information there.