Re: [tor-talk] Tor Browser 4.5a4 on Raspbian wheezy

Mirimir:
> On 03/09/2015 11:58 PM, Andreas Krey wrote:
>> On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 20:32:11 +0000, Mirimir wrote:
>>> I've built Tor Browser 4.5a4 on Raspbian wheezy, using instructions at
>>> <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBrowser/Hacking>.
>>>
>>> Is this news, or unremarkable?

Nice. I have not heard someone trying to do that before.

>> At least, it's interesting. I wanted to look into that myself (because
>> I only have a raspberry at one place and want the TTB), but...
>>
>> Did you build on the rasperry or cross? Care to share details?
>>
>> Andreas
>
> I built on a Pi 2, with Raspbian wheezy on a 32GB class 10 microSDHC
> card. It took 6-7 hours at 100% CPU, and I had to cool the Pi 2 with a
> small fan to prevent overheating. I followed exactly the instructions in
> the above URL at "Building Just Firefox", except that I commented out
> "ac_add_options --enable-tor-browser-update" in
> "~/tor-browser/.mozconfig" after configuring.
>
> After "make -C obj-* package INNER_MAKE_PACKAGE=true", I executed
> "~/tor-browser/obj-armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf/dist/firefox/firefox".
> And it works. But I've since discovered that add-ons are broken.

Not sure what you mean with "works" but starting it this way will create
a new profile (or use an existing one) without any of the extensions
needed for Tor Browser (like Torbutton and HTTPS-Everywhere etc.) and
without tor and pluggable transports.

> Browsing "about:addons", I get:
>
> | XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
> | Location: about:addons
> | Line Number 390, column 15:
> |
> |            <label value="&plugins.installed.find;"/>
> | -----------^
>
> I'm not sure how to proceed, and would appreciate suggestions. I don't

Commit bc305e697edb6860fe035e4b67fc5f027de237a5 in Tor Browser needs
this entity and Torbutton defines it. This is, again, a sign that you
are missing the extensions we ship in Tor Browser.

> believe that Gitian is workable in Raspbian wheezy. But if Gitian is the
> way to go, I can try it in Ubuntu 14.10 / Linaro 15.01
> <http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=98997>.

I'd be very much interested in looking at the results/dead-ends/issues
when using the deterministic builds approach. Might be good to document
your findings in #12631 which is the ticket for the ARM port of Tor Browser.

Georg