Re: [tor-talk] Why is there a huge gap between Total BW retrieved by Stem, Total shown on Tor Metrics and in http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/?

On 28/03/15 06:38, Anonymous Kyoto wrote:
> Hi all, â I just try fetching some information in the descriptors
> consensus from directory authorities via Stem library. After
> fetching and sum up the bandwidth, I got this number: 30841602
> kilobytes, which is around 246 Gbit. It is quite different from the
> number of around 60GBit/s of bandwidth history, and 125 Gbit/s for
> Advertised bandwidth in Tor Metrics:
> https://metrics.torproject.org/bandwidth.html. I know that the
> bandwidth I fetched via Stem library is the line w in consensus
> document stated here:
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt#n1768
>
> P/S: Code I wrote to fetch bw is:
>
>> from stem.descriptor.remote import DescriptorDownloader
>> downloader = DescriptorDownloader() print '%s %i ' %(IP,
>> int(desc.bandwidth))
>

> â Next, simultaneously I checked bandwidth of a particular IP
> (say, 95.215.44.189), In Consensus, it shows 264 (
> http://171.25.193.9:443/tor/status-vote/current/consensus) In Vote,
> it shows 604 (
> http://171.25.193.9:443/tor/status-vote/current/authority) and in
> http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/, it shows 66KB
>
> By reading the Direcroty Protocol, I can figure out the difference
> between Consensus and Vote, but Why the last line is also different
> from both Consensus and Vote? Do anyone has any idea of how the
> site gets the 66KB/s number for bandwidth?
>
> Looking forward to receiving any comment or answer from you! Yours
> Sincerely.

For a start, look up the terms "advertised bandwidth", "bandwidth
history", and "consensus weight" on Metrics:

https://metrics.torproject.org/about.html

Basically, all three numbers are determined via quite different
approaches.  Also note that consensus weight is not measured in bytes
per seconds, but doesn't have any unit.  That's why you can't really
compare these numbers.

All the best,
Karsten