Re: [tor-talk] Why my tor-assigned IP address differs from that of exit node ?

On 3/16/16, Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 08:26:17AM +0000, jb wrote:
>> Why does it happen, and is it something to worry about or a bug ?
>
> It's nothing to worry about, and also not a bug.

However it's also not something to just ignore.
A "Red", for all the reasons it may occur good or bad, should
still be investigated before using tor. Even if all that means is
that you hit "NEWNYM, new circuit / identity, whatever the button
for that is in TBB" and try for green again before assuming
your setup works and then surfing the net. If you get all red's,
or even more than a percent of all exits, that could be a real
problem to ask about.

I've been trying to get a blurb to the effect that "red may happen
on occaision, please read some wiki faq link and try again" added
to the check screen.

> But this case raises some legitimate questions:
> http://tor.stackexchange.com/questions/598/sorry-you-are-not-using-tor-strange-issue-72-52-91-18-19?lq=1

Unlike the ORPort IP, tor [operator] simply may not have bound
any [scannable] ports to the actual resultant exit IP.

"Quality Score" is something different and not on primary topic.