[tor-talk] Orbot

Guardian Project does not seem to be supporting Orbot. Sent two emails to Support which were ignored. After several factory resets, however, was finally able to download Orbot from the Guardian Project to the RCA tablet via direct download. When you click on Browser, a window appears instructing the user Orfox is not installed and would the user wish to install it? If you click No, the Tor page comes up saying âThis is not Torâ and the IP is not changeable. If you click Yes, Orfox does not download. Nothing happens.

If you click VPN, Tor does properly start. If you swipe the onion, the IP changes. When you check the IP, the Tor page comes up with contradictory messages. On the top of the page it says, âCongratulations. This browser is configured to use Tor.â On the bottom of the very same page it says, âHowever, it does not appear to be Tor Browser.â

If you check further through Downloads, it states VPN mode is experimental and data may be shared elsewhere throughout the network obliterating privacy. What network? If you disable VPN, and swipe the Tor onion, the IP does not change and you cannot browse. If you enable VPN and go to any URL, the browser does access the URL. How can I be sure, however, it is actually Tor that's doing the browsing and not the generic browser on the droid actually doing the browsing and then calling home to Google? -- You cannot uninstall the generic browser. Just disable it. You can uninstall Chrome and I have done so.

Have subsequently uninstalled as many of the droid apps as the machine would allow. Since the droid does provide a guest user function, however, how can I be sure that even with all the apps uninstalled and/or disabled on owner mode of operation, the tablet is still not âcalling home?â Does Orfox need to be installed and operational for Orbot to properly work? If so, how do I get the droid tablet to properly download it instead of ignoring the request when the Yes icon is clicked?

So far, this tablet is no more than a paper weight. Cannot be trusted for anything other than downloads of news sites and other URLs that do not require log in. None of the droid user groups seems to be current. Are several years old and not currently operational. Worse, have not been able to find any truly comprehensive guide online regarding the droid operating system. Intend to continue working on these issues. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Libertyinperil.