[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
[tor-talk] Tor 0.3.0.4-rc
Hi! We're making progress: Tor 0.3.0.4-rc is now "release candidate"
status, which means we think we might be just about stable, but we
hope you'll find some more bugs.
You can download the source code from the usual place on the website.
Packages should be out over the next several weeks, including Tor
Browser releases next week.
(Tor 0.2.9.10 just came out too, but stable releases go on the
Changes in version 0.3.0.4-rc - 2017-03-01
Tor 0.3.0.4-rc fixes some remaining bugs, large and small, in the
0.3.0 release series, and introduces a few reliability features to
keep them from coming back.
This is the first release candidate in the Tor 0.3.0 series. If we
find no new bugs or regressions here, the first stable 0.3.0 release
will be nearly identical to it.
o Major bugfixes (bridges):
- When the same bridge is configured multiple times with the same
identity, but at different address:port combinations, treat those
bridge instances as separate guards. This fix restores the ability
of clients to configure the same bridge with multiple pluggable
transports. Fixes bug 21027; bugfix on 0.3.0.1-alpha.
o Major bugfixes (hidden service directory v3):
- Stop crashing on a failed v3 hidden service descriptor lookup
failure. Fixes bug 21471; bugfixes on tor-0.3.0.1-alpha.
o Major bugfixes (parsing):
- When parsing a malformed content-length field from an HTTP
message, do not read off the end of the buffer. This bug was a
potential remote denial-of-service attack against Tor clients and
relays. A workaround was released in October 2016, to prevent this
bug from crashing Tor. This is a fix for the underlying issue,
which should no longer matter (if you applied the earlier patch).
Fixes bug 20894; bugfix on 0.2.0.16-alpha. Bug found by fuzzing
using AFL (http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/afl/).
- Fix an integer underflow bug when comparing malformed Tor
versions. This bug could crash Tor when built with
--enable-expensive-hardening, or on Tor 0.2.9.1-alpha through Tor
0.2.9.8, which were built with -ftrapv by default. In other cases
it was harmless. Part of TROVE-2017-001. Fixes bug 21278; bugfix
on 0.0.8pre1. Found by OSS-Fuzz.
o Minor feature (protocol versioning):
- Add new protocol version for proposal 224. HSIntro now advertises
version "3-4" and HSDir version "1-2". Fixes ticket 20656.
o Minor features (directory authorities):
- Directory authorities now reject descriptors that claim to be
malformed versions of Tor. Helps prevent exploitation of
- Reject version numbers with components that exceed INT32_MAX.
Otherwise 32-bit and 64-bit platforms would behave inconsistently.
Fixes bug 21450; bugfix on 0.0.8pre1.
o Minor features (geoip):
- Update geoip and geoip6 to the February 8 2017 Maxmind GeoLite2
o Minor features (reliability, crash):
- Try better to detect problems in buffers where they might grow (or
think they have grown) over 2 GB in size. Diagnostic for
o Minor features (testing):
- During 'make test-network-all', if tor logs any warnings, ask
chutney to output them. Requires a recent version of chutney with
the 21572 patch. Implements 21570.
o Minor bugfixes (certificate expiration time):
- Avoid using link certificates that don't become valid till some
time in the future. Fixes bug 21420; bugfix on 0.2.4.11-alpha
o Minor bugfixes (code correctness):
- Repair a couple of (unreachable or harmless) cases of the risky
comparison-by-subtraction pattern that caused bug 21278.
- Remove a redundant check for the UseEntryGuards option from the
options_transition_affects_guards() function. Fixes bug 21492;
bugfix on 0.3.0.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (directory mirrors):
- Allow relays to use directory mirrors without a DirPort: these
relays need to be contacted over their ORPorts using a begindir
connection. Fixes one case of bug 20711; bugfix on 0.2.8.2-alpha.
- Clarify the message logged when a remote relay is unexpectedly
missing an ORPort or DirPort: users were confusing this with a
local port. Fixes another case of bug 20711; bugfix
o Minor bugfixes (guards):
- Don't warn about a missing guard state on timeout-measurement
circuits: they aren't supposed to be using guards. Fixes an
instance of bug 21007; bugfix on 0.3.0.1-alpha.
- Silence a BUG() warning when attempting to use a guard whose
descriptor we don't know, and make this scenario less likely to
happen. Fixes bug 21415; bugfix on 0.3.0.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (hidden service):
- Pass correct buffer length when encoding legacy ESTABLISH_INTRO
cells. Previously, we were using sizeof() on a pointer, instead of
the real destination buffer. Fortunately, that value was only used
to double-check that there was enough room--which was already
enforced elsewhere. Fixes bug 21553; bugfix on 0.3.0.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (testing):
- Fix Raspbian build issues related to missing socket errno in
test_util.c. Fixes bug 21116; bugfix on tor-0.2.8.2. Patch
- Rename "make fuzz" to "make test-fuzz-corpora", since it doesn't
actually fuzz anything. Fixes bug 21447; bugfix on 0.3.0.3-alpha.
- Use bash in src/test/test-network.sh. This ensures we reliably
call chutney's newer tools/test-network.sh when available. Fixes
bug 21562; bugfix on 0.2.9.1-alpha.
- Small fixes to the fuzzing documentation. Closes ticket 21472.
tor-talk mailing list - tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To unsubscribe or change other settings go to