Re: [tor-talk] Looking for Google Season of Docs mentors

Hello Duncan.

Pili is heading up the efforts to get Tor involved with the Season on
Docs. She just joined the mailing list after your email had been
written, but should be able to see the content from my reply below :-)

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 09:21:54PM -0400, Duncan wrote:
> Are there any Tor contributors willing to be mentors for the upcoming
> Google Season of Docs program [1]?
>
>     1: https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/

I think we will be able to find someone to mentor others if we get into
the program.

> Season of Docs involves technical writers working on documentation for
> open source projects for about three months. It's similar to Summer of
> Code which Tor has participated in previously. This is the first year
> it's running.
>
> If Tor wanted to participate it would require one or two people to act
> as organization administrators and one or more mentors. In return,
> technical writers would get to contribute to Tor's documentation with
> a stipend being paid for by Google. The deadline for organizations to
> apply is April 23 [2].
>
>     2: https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/timeline
>
> I'm a technical writer and this is something I would really like to
> be involved in. My personal interest is explaining protocols in a
> format that can be understood by readers even if those people are not
> necessarily hardcore internet protocol fans <3
>
> Here are examples of documentation I have written for the Dat [3] and
> Scuttlebutt [4] projects:
>
>     3: https://datprotocol.github.io/how-dat-works/
>     4: https://ssbc.github.io/scuttlebutt-protocol-guide/

Cool! The DAT documentation is impressive. I like the visualization on
that page.

> I am drawn to Tor because of the knowledge about how to build real-world
> privacy enhancing software boiled into Tor's design. I think there
> are some good candidates where accessible documentation could help
> others understand what Tor has learned, for example the path selection
> algorithm. I'm also open to hearing ideas about other aspects of Tor's
> documentation that would most benefit from having a dedicated person
> working on them for a few months.
>
> But first I'm just looking to see if mentoring technical writers is
> something Tor people are interested in, especially seeing as a chance to
> fund this is coming up.

Awesome. Let's see what Pili says with regards to the upcoming steps of
this process :-)

All the best,
Alex.

--