Re: Memory use

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 03:04:49PM -0400, Jonathan D. Proulx wrote:
> are you running 0.0.9.x or 0.1.0.x
>
> Don't know how if this influences memory

I believe we have some sort of memory bloat in 0.1.0.8-rc currently.

moria2 (one of the dirservers) is running on my shiny new 64 bit opteron,
and it's running at about 10% cpu pushing 900 kB/s.

But its memory footprint has been steadily growing.

I tried running it inside valgrind (which is actually possible on this
opteron -- wow), but valgrind indicated that there were no leaks.

Yet the footprint keeps growing.

I'm currently speculating that our malloc/realloc/free patterns in
buffers.c are convincing glibc not to give the memory back to the
operating system -- that is, we *are* freeing it, but glibc keeps it
around since it expects us to ask for it back soon.

Am I going mad?

Ten points to whoever finds the problem. :)

--Roger