Re: Improvement of memory allocation possible?

The default system one should if large blocks are allocated and deallocated at once.

On 5/11/06, Ben Wilhelm <zorba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

Does your allocator actually return memory to the OS? Many don't, and in
my (admittedly brief) look through the source, I don't remember seeing a
custom allocator.

If it doesn't return memory to the OS, it'll just sit at its maximum
allocated size for all eternity, despite not using much of this memory.
(Although your buffer-shrinking would help reduce that
maximum-allocated-size.)

-Ben

--
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither  Liberty nor Safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin