Re: Some legal trouble with TOR in France

On Samstag, 13. Mai 2006 12:53 Olivier Barbut wrote:
> Hello dear tor talkers,
>
> I'm running the tor router "mini", located in paris, france, and I
> believe I have to share with you what happened to me last
> wednesday,the 10th of May. My router was an outside gateway, doing
> request for tor anonymous users.
>
> Last wednesday morning, at 7:45, three cops did knock at my door.
> They suspected me to have downloaded some child porn videos. As I was
> waking up, I understood it was tor-related. I did explain them I was
> a TOR outside gateway, but they didn't knew about it. They searched
> everywhere in my small home and took every support they could find:
> hard drives they removed from computers, cds, disks, and then they
> took me to the police station, at the child protection service,
> jailing me the whole day while they was searching my hard drives and
> cds for traces of the video they was looking for.
>
> They did asked me if they was a way to trace back to the criminal who
> downloaded this child abuse video, but I told them "not in my
> knowledge" and "the tor network is designed to make this impossible,
> keeping no log of traffic".
>
>  At 19:00, having not found these video, having learned more about
> tor and confirmated I was running it, they freed me, giving me back
> my cds and hard drives.

You should be really happy you were set free the same day and even got
your things back! Just imagine they'd arrested you several days,
destroying your data, they'd found some other less legal things in your
home you maybe like to smoke or ...
I clearly do not dare to run a tor server in Germany for reasons like
these :(
So my question is: does anyone know about or have experience with the
implications when founding an organisation (Verein in german,
incorporated society) of two or more people to run tor?
The server/exit node would be run by the organisation, not a human
being. Could this approach keep the members' private lives private?

Joe