Re: data remanence (was: Some legal trouble with TOR in France)

--- Michael Holstein <michael.holstein@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> AFIK, there is no data remanence problem with DRAM

Not apparently. I sent one of these links earlier in this thread IIRC.
These papers are by Peter Gutman himself.

"7. Methods of Recovery for Data stored in Random-Access Memory"
"8. Erasure of Data stored in Random-Access Memory"
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html

Data Remanence in Semiconductor Devices -- all 19 pages
http://www.cypherpunks.to/~peter/usenix01.pdf

It's been a few years since I've read these articles personally.