Re: SoC Project: Improving Hidden Service Security and Usability

This is actually something that I thought about but I decided to go for
Linux for a few reasons. The first one being my own experience in Linux
is much greater than that in Windows and the second one being that
installing Ubuntu has become easy enough that I suggest it to
non-techies. If somebody is serious about running a forum for Chinese
dissidents, for example, then they're probably willing to install Linux
on a machine dedicated to it. I think that windows-only clients might be
more likely for personal hidden sites than sites that require constant
uptime. Since sites that require constant uptime usually require a
separate machine, it seems to me that encouraging people to run Linux is
probably a good choice especially given the risks that individual might
be taking by running a hidden service. I would rather have somebody use
Linux instead of Windows because there's no guide for Windows than the
other way around. I agree with you though that somebody needs to do the
same thing I'm doing but for Windows.

I haven't ever done any fingerprinting of hidden services but it would
be interesting to see how many/if any run Windows. As far as I can tell,
most of onionland is run by some dedicated techies who mainly use Linux,
but I could be wrong.

Ringo