Re: [tor-talk] how bridges work

On 5/7/2012 2:20 AM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 05:07:26AM -0400, eliaz wrote:
>> Of what use is a bridge working off an IP address of a provider located
>> in, say, the US, to a client in, say, Syria? Sorry for the elementary
>> question. - eli
>
> The client in Syria can connect through the bridge in the US to reach
> the Tor network. Simplifying a bit, the bridge provides the reachability,
> and the Tor network provides the anonymity.
>
> See also https://www.torproject.org/docs/bridges

Thanks for the reassurance about the process. While I accept the
free-speech basis of Tor (that "bad" as well as "good" guys can use it)
and the assumption that the network is overall doing more good than bad,
I've been concerned at the high usage that my bridge seems to be getting
from Syria (& China) when, as you say, at least for Syria it's not
necessary to hop all the way to the US to reach an entry node. Maybe I
worry too much, since it's neither here nor there to digital comms how
geographically far away an entry node is from a client machine.
--
gpg: 0xE498E90D