Re: [tor-talk] [tor-relays] Strange BGP activity with my node

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 2:19 PM, charlie <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> in the current state of society with certain governmental agencies
> performing things the way they are, i don't trust any ISP anymore or
> government agency anymore. the apology from that ISP, in my opinion, smells
> like the worst pile of crap ever. i don't buy it.
>
> i wish there was a way for us to run a TOR network without having to be on
> an ISP's network.

!gnitsop pot potS

That being said...

There are many ways...
- Start laying fiber / wifi to your neighbors, guerrilla networking, create
your own new global internets with your own new rules
- CJDNS, I2P, GNUnet, Tor, messaging ... all the various anonymous
encrypted overlays... they are their own "non ISP networks"...
run your own services on them, they're likely better than nothing.
- Do you really need to be giving Alexa Top 100 access to your life
and asshole... especially anymore now that decentralized models
and software are rolling out...

As far as this BGP event, as someone noted earlier,
commercial [subscription based] "security" services deploy many
potential means for themselves and their customers, including acting within
their routing infrastructures, to blackhole / filter / snoop traffic destined
to external risks deemed. No different than adblock, "hosts" files, etc.
So long as it's not default deny, packets can still get out,
somewhere, to the equivalent of bridges / vpn's / proxies as need be.

Their explanation is within plausible ops legitimacy.
As is questioning trust in aforesaid entities... you certainly
can't do an inspection on either of them, yet you still give
them your dollars. That's quite funny.

Again, more interesting would be looking for and
analysing attacks against the tor nodes (and those
of other networks) as a whole.

Unfortunately no one's researched that yet here.
Perhaps because Tor [izens] keeps shouting "sniffing bad",
thus programming out one of the tech needed to do that.
And other attacks, such as potential bgp steering,
sybils, the network paths, etc, are also less discussed [1].
Or because coordination is hard.
Oh well... Demons lurk where Sun never peeks.

At least tor doesn't use dns to bootstrap and run,
that would be a whole other layer of attack surface.

[1] For example, after years of mentions, there's still
no voluntary meetup PKI WoT cross certification / inspection /
identification, statistical / checklist, jurisdiction / AS / location,
whatever else, based node analysis and selection project to which
users could potentially subscribe their clients to. All networks to date
still use effectively random free-for-all node selection. That's reasonable
in some threat models, but without the research and attempted
construction and deployment of alternate selection models
operating voluntarily in parallel... it's quite possibly a lurkers paradise.