Re: [tor-talk] Better bridge management for clients

Nathaniel Suchy wrote:
I think Tor Browser would need to create a statistics database for the
bridges you provide it with and run tests over time and choose the
bridges which have been historically the most reliable.

You might be able to create something useful to the user much more simply just from keeping track of normal operation (w/o running extra tests). Perhaps after a bridge the software tried to use could not be reached a certain number of times over a certain number of days the user could be prompted with something like: "We were unable to contact such and such bridge the last 7 attempts over the last 3 days. Would you like to remove it from it from your list of bridges?"

This would reduce the complexity of both the software required and the information provided to a user who otherwise might feel overwhelmed with statistical data. Plus the software wouldn't take any action w/o the user's knowledge and consent. (If the user declines when first notified, the software could stop prompting him (so as not be annoying) but maintain a menu option where the user could see updated statistics (bridge unreachable n times in last m days) and where he could still delete the bridge from the list if he so chose.)

Jim