Re: [tor-talk] How long does it take for websites to discover new exit nodes?

> On 19/05/2019 00:38, jiggytwiggy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> As we know, many sites block Tor while others have awful CAPTCHAs.
>>
>> However, new exit nodes are created all the time.
>>
>> Does anyone know how often sites check the public exit node IP list and
>> add them to their databases of exit nodes?

I assume you want to know how fast they _could_ detect new exit IP addresses for
most cases[0] not how frequently they actually update their exit lists since that can only be
answered by the specific site operator.

Exit IP address lists [1] are generated by The Tor Project by sending
traffic through exits and watching the used source IP address(es).

[0] ignoring corner cases that I did not observe in practice yet:
like potential exits rotating their exititing IP address at a rate < 1 hour

That list gets apparently published once an hour.
Maybe Iain or Karsten can add some documentation about how frequent the tests are done
for each exit.

[1] https://metrics.torproject.org/collector.html#type-tordnsel

> It is likely true that many sites that block Tor do so due to the
> detection of a single abuse event.

The way the question was asked suggests that jiggytwiggy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
is referring to another type of blocking that is not the reaction
to abuse but the blocking of tor exit IPs - even if there is no
malicious activity detected.

--
https://twitter.com/nusenu_
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu