RE: openbsd 3.6 installation from stable source (0.1.0.15)

have you tried running ldd on the built binaries to see where they are looking?

i'd say that they are looking first in a place where an old version is already installed. maybe you built the old version previously in an overlaying library search path.

This is a problem that you never encounter when you just install them directly to the root. Unless you are producing a binary distribution package you should never need to do this - and even if you are, most methods of doing this (apart from slack, which is simple tar archives) have means of pulling a package together from its live installed location... well, gentoo does anyway (qpkg) i have a few gripes with gentoo's ways but by and large it is better than anything else out there for ease of software management.

From: poncenby smythe <smythe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: openbsd 3.6 installation from stable source (0.1.0.15)
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 21:50:22 +0000

dear list,

i first installed libevent 1.1a using:
./configure --prefix=/thisdir
make
sudo make install

no errors occured.

i then installed tor using:

./configure --includedir=/thisdir/include --libdir=/thisdir/lib
make
sudo make install

no errors occured.

then when executing tor it complains that i am using an old version of libevent and tor will be buggy.

I think the problem is that I have never really understood how to compile source packages with certain libraries/includes that are not in standard paths.

apologies for such a newbie question.

poncenby