Re: [tor-talk] disabling automatic port selection in TBB (was: Re: which apps require an http proxy?)

>> Speaking of which, is there a way to disable autoports in TBB? Both
>> torrc and Torbutton have settings which look like they should control
>> it, but neither seems to have the desired effect.
>
> In Vidalia, go to Settings->Advanced and untick the box that says 'Configure
> ControlPort automatically'.

Thanks Erinn ... tried that and it didn't work. Doesn't remember
settings even in the current session, let alone across restarts. I've
poked around a little more now and found a way to make it work:

- edit Data/Vidalia/vidalia.conf and set:

    AutoControl=false

- edit Data/Tor/torrc and set:

    SocksPort 9050

That sets the control port to 9051 and SOCKS to 9050.

Versions:

    TBB: tor-browser-gnu-linux-i686-2.2.34-1-dev-en-US.tar.gz
    OS: Debian 5.0.9

-C