Re: [tor-talk] Don't use Google as default search in Tor Browser?

On 11/2/2011 4:40 PM, Advrk Aplmkt wrote:
> Joe Btfsplk <joebtfsplk@xxxxxxx> 於 2011/11/2 12:06 寫道:
>> On 11/1/2011 8:23 PM, Advrk Aplmkt wrote:
>>> Thanks Joe for the info.
>>> Yes, I *do* know how to remove search engines, including the method you described.
>>> However, I was suggesting that Google (and probably some of the other defaults) be not in the TBB to begin with, or at least not the default.
>>> I believe this would make TBB more consistent in providing a private browsing experience.
>> I agree, Advrk. I hinted at the same in my reply. I wonder if this would
>> violate some Mozilla agreement, since they get a large amt of $ from
>> Google from including Google search as default search engine? (No such
>> thing as a free lunch).
>>
>> Wasn't indicating any presence or lack of ability on your part to del
>> search engines, just providing general info for anyone that might be
>> interested. No need to indicate being personally offended by the bolded
>> text. Most are here to offer helpful suggestions that may help many -
>> not just OP, not to offend people.
>>
>> Cheers,
> Hi Joe, I definitely didn't take offense, and I apologise for sounding that way. In fact I really appreciate how informative this list is. :)
>
> As for the search engine, would it still violate Mozilla/Google agreements if the default search engine is changed by the Tor Browser packagers (and not by Mozilla)? And I thought Aurora is already Firefox minus Mozilla branding anyway?
I have no concrete knowledge if it would violate any Mozilla agreements.
I was just thinking out loud. But (all Firefox / Aurora users) can make
other search engines the default just by moving another to the top of
the list via Manage Search Engines.

It's odd (to me) that the TBB developers take actions to avoid using
Google for searches, but leave Google search engine in Aurora at all,
unless there's good reason. Even if left out, users might add it back
(why, I don't know). If they did, that would still require the redirect
option to avoid Google. None of the developers have weighed in, so no
telling. Maybe they never thought about removing it? Developers?

Nothing's 100%, but detectives / investigative reporters often say,
"Follow the money," to get to the truth. Mozilla's very lucrative
involvement with Google is no secret. It wasn't widely publicized for a
good while. How or if that affects others modifying Firefox, no idea.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but one thought is, if Tor Project
isn't forbidden from taking Google search out & they're receiving no
revenue / consideration for leaving it in (even if they provide a way
around using Google), what's the point of leaving it in, when so many
other things that can compromise anonymity are excluded or disabled in
Aurora?

I would guess a fair # of less informed Tor / TBB users don't choose the
"redirect me" option on Tor's Google captcha pop up, or don't fully
understand why it appears. After all, they're used to seeing Google as
the search engine on virtually every Windows machine they've used.

Regards,