[tor-talk] What is tor used for?

hello:

i believe there is a real need for secure communications but as a new user
to tor it seems the common entry points to the network are rife with
criminal activity.

the torproject website lists users as friends and family, military,
business owners etc - use cases that make sense to me, but i've yet to
find any stories or ancedontal evidence to suggest this is really the
case.  instead i find core.onion linking to "adult" content that has
little to do with adults and "market sites" that deal with illegal trade
in weapons and drugs.

so far it has me wondering if tor is really used for the humanitarian
purposes the technology has the potential of aiding.  i would really
appreciate hearing real stories and highlights of how has helped in the
use cases torproject lists.

toruser