[tor-talk] Tor and AES-NI acceleration , and Tor profiling

Hi,

Thanks to a new deal at www.axigy.com (Thanks! They're great!), we now
have a shiny dedicated Gbit/s exit with a Sandy Bridge CPU (Quad Xeon
E3-1230). Details on the setup steps I performed to enable AES-NI are
documented at
https://www.torservers.net/wiki/setup/server#aes-ni_crypto_acceleration

Decided to use Ubuntu because it comes with AES-NI kernel support and
patched OpenSSL. I had to enable AES-NI in the BIOS (disabled by default
on many motherboards) and load the module. Then put the relevant
switches in torrc to use it and restarted the processes.

[notice] Using OpenSSL engine Intel AES-NI engine [aesni] for AES

So my guess is that it is now being used, but I must say I would have
expected larger profit.

I am profiling that box as documented on
https://www.torservers.net/wiki/setup/profiling , so if you're
interested in more nasty details:

Every 10 minutes:
http://axigy1.torservers.net/vnstat.png
 /usr/bin/vnstati -vs -o /var/www/vnstat.png -i eth1 >/dev/null 2>&1
(daily/monthly vnstat_d.png and vnstat_m.png)

Every hour:
http://axigy1.torservers.net/opreport.txt
 /usr/bin/opreport -g -l /usr/sbin/tor
http://axigy1.torservers.net/opdump.txt
 /usr/bin/opcontrol --dump && /usr/bin/opreport -l
http://axigy1.torservers.net/dstat.txt
 dstat -tnl --tcp -N eth1 -cmdgirsy --fs -C total,0,1,2,3 3600

I hope this is useful to Tor devs.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/