Re: [tor-talk] Vidalia for Iphone 3g - Covertbrowser

On 11/17/11 9:08 PM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> The case of 'covert browser' is even worse: does anybody know if that's
> even using Tor under the hood? In the case of Marco's packages, we know
> what application-level protections to expect (basically none). In the case
> of 'covert browser'... what should we expect? How do we evaluate whether
> it achieves them? Does it screw up something else and not realize it,
> so e.g. it's broadcasting something about you and you don't know?
>
> I don't know that the answer is 'yes', but I also don't know that it's
> 'no'. We hear they've changed the Tor source, and we know they haven't
> shown us the changes. That's not a good sign.

We had a discussion on twitter about it, between various people, about
the concept that:
- they get something from the community
- they do not give back anything relevant to the community
At least it would be fair to release opensource the glue-code
modifications on how to embed Tor within an iPhone Application!

They said they still have not decided whether to do it or not:
http://twitter.com/#!/fpietrosanti/status/136889232743608320

-naif