Re: [tor-talk] [Openvpn-users] Openvpn over tor, possible?

On 24/11/11 17:06, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> So I am thinking on implementing tor, and then establishing the
> openvpn connection over it.

> Is this at all possible?. Has anyone done something like it?, any help
> or comment on this would be highly appreciated.

That is perfectly possible. You will need to configure OpenVPN to use
TCP as Tor doesn't support UDP connections. It doesn't sound like you
need a high level of anonymity, and that you're just trying to bypass
network blocks, so you might get better performance/reliability by
dropping the default circuit length from 3 nodes to 2 nodes.
Instructions for doing this in Ubuntu can be found here:

https://grepular.com/Tor_Circuits_with_Two_Hops_on_Ubuntu

Also, it might be a good idea to select a port for OpenVPN that is in
the default "LongLivedPorts" list. From the man page:

"LongLivedPorts PORTS - A list of ports for services that tend to have
long-running connections (e.g. chat and interactive shells). Circuits
for streams that use these ports will contain only high-uptime nodes, to
reduce the chance that a node will go down before the stream is
finished. (Default: 21, 22, 706, 1863, 5050, 5190, 5222, 5223, 6523,
6667, 6697, 8300)"

--
Mike Cardwell https://grepular.com/  https://twitter.com/mickeyc
Professional  http://cardwellit.com/ http://linkedin.com/in/mikecardwell