Re: [tor-talk] Tor on Kindle 3G?

On 11/27/11, Runa A. Sandvik <runa.sandvik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 3:33 AM, hepta tor <heptator@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Amazon offers free internet worldwide through their Kindle 3G
>> eReader/tablet (running some embedded Linux), however they proxy all
>> the 3G traffic through their servers. Apparently that means that even
>> if you try to establish a https connection to some server, it is
>> Amazon that establishes that secure connection on your behalf, and all
>> the traffic between you and the Amazon proxy can be easily monitored
>> by Amazon (which is probably what they are doing anyways). I would
>> like to ask if any of you has tried to deploy Tor on Kindle 3G. A more
>> general question is whether Tor can be easily deployed on embedded
>> linux devices (other than those running Android).
>> If to connect to the internet one is forced to use an untrusted proxy,
>> can Tor be of any help here? I.e. can Tor encrypt the data and hide
>> the final destination from the untrusted proxy while at the same time
>> having to pass the data through it?
>
> Do you have Kindle Fire?

No, I was asking about Kindle 3G (to be more precise Kindle Keyboard
3G - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZYA6E/ref=famstripe_kk3g).
Fire is basically android and supports only wi-fi connection (not 3G),
so it should be straightforward to adapt Orbot to Fire. However Kindle
3G is some embedded linux, not android. The interesting thing about
Kindle 3G is that you get free internet worldwide (where 3G
connectivity is available) but at the cost of surrendering your
(browsing) privacy to amazon...
thanks.