[tor-talk] torsocks is broken and unmaintained

Hi,

as far I know, it has never been stated like this. Reasons:

1. critical ipv6 bug:
https://code.google.com/p/torsocks/issues/detail?id=37

No progress on it for almost one year.

There is a workaround:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/torsocks#WorkaroundforIPv6leakbug

But I guess very few people are aware of it.

2. Robert Hogan hasn't participated in any public discussion for a long
time.

3. another annoying bug with patch available:
https://code.google.com/p/torsocks/issues/detail?id=3

Patch has been accepted in many Linux distributions including Debian.
Still isn't merged upstream.

4. torsocks not available in torproject.org trac:

Only on google code, which makes collaboration difficult. (You can not
post anonymously to the google code tracker.; You can not have an
anonymous google account, since it requires verification.; Google code
is not accessible from some countries.)

5. I tried to reach Robert Hogan, he replied once, but not again.
uwt (a modified usewithtor to improve Tor stream isolation) has been
written by me:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/torsocks

Basically adds support for adding proxy type, ip and port by command
line. It's generally working well and would be useful to have it
upstream. Either as a separate script or merged with usewithtor. I'd
patch it to his liking but he doesn't seem to have time to discuss it.

Thanks to Robert Hogan for creating and maintaining torsocks! Now it can
be considered broken and unmaintained. Please disagree if you believe my
conclusion is wrong.

What are the consequences?

Cheers,
adrelanos