Re: [tor-talk] ads slow Tor Browser dramatically

Thus spake Joe Btfsplk (joebtfsplk@xxxxxxx):

> On 11/4/2012 5:45 AM, andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 01:06:50PM -0500, joebtfsplk@xxxxxxx wrote 1.3K bytes in 26 lines about:
> >: TBB is already slow, which is understandable.  Using "stock" TBB
> >: that allows ads & possibly other items increasing bandwidth is far
> >: slower on many sites - even news sites - than same TBB version w/
> >: just AdBlock Plus.
> >
> >Can you quantify this performance difference between TBB with ads and
> >TBB without ads?
> >
> Sure, I could.  If a Tor dev w/ "the power to make changes" says
> blocking ads would definitely be considered, if data were provided
> showing increase in data downloaded & longer page load times.
> Otherwise, would be an exercise in futility.

I am deeply opposed to shipping an always-on universal adblocker with
the default TBB. I think it would be political suicide in terms of
accomplishing our goals with acceptance of Tor users by sites, lobbying
for private browsing origin changes, and convincing the world that
privacy by design is possible without resorting to filtering schemes
and/or DNT-style begging.

Further, adblocker filter choices are fingerprintable.

*However*, I recognize that many sites use advertising networks that are
obnoxious, deceptive, and possibly even dangerous wrt vectors for
malware (though safebrowsing filters are supposed to exist for this
last reason and we do use those).

So, I *might* support an adblocker that allows the user to block ads on
specific first party domains that they choose. The incentives this would
create for sites/ad networks to be less obnoxious is particularly
appealing, but that probably will only take effect if the major browser
vendors also provided this feature.

However, the fingerprinting issues with this approach would require
resetting these choices upon "New Identity" by default, unless the user
also opted to protect their choices...

Unfortunately, this is probably a lot of work to implement and get the
UI right, and so it's not high on the priorities list compared to other
things. It's also one of the few areas where I think partial solutions
will do us way more harm than good.

--
Mike Perry