Re: [tor-talk] Reduced latency transport for TOR

Thus spake Gregory Maxwell (gmaxwell@xxxxxxxxx):

> This work could be _very_ productive for future transport for TOR:
>
> https://www.usenix.org/conference/nsdi12/minion-unordered-delivery-wire-compatible-tcp-and-tls
>
> As opposed to a raw datagram transport it still gets through the
> firewalls and nats that TCP/TLS does and still looks like HTTPS to
> censorware.

FWIW, I spent the better part of today reviewing our UDP plans[1,2] and
pondering this design, but I think I've decided this is not terribly
useful to us right now, primarily because it would seem to require the
very same circuit crypto changes as we'd need for a full client-to-exit
datagram transport (to support reordering at the circuit crypto level).

1. https://research.torproject.org/techreports/datagram-comparison-2011-11-07.pdf
2. https://research.torproject.org/techreports/datagram-testing-plan-2012-03-16.pdf

--
Mike Perry