Re: [tor-talk] Use of socat and tor-resolve with Tor

On: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 16:23:13 -0500, grarpamp <grarpamp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have been using socat to torify connections.  Since I was unsure
>> where a network address was being translated
>
>tor-resolve is not needed, socat is sufficient.
>Both can resolve dns via socks4a and/or socks5.
>Verify the behavior with tcpdump, etc.

Thank you for your prompt response.  If you, or some other
knowledgeable member of this list, would help with some additional
socat questions, I would appreciate it.  Given the frequency of posts
about dns resolution, perhaps others would benefit as well.

Recalling that the socat call was:

socat TCP4-LISTEN:${LISTEN_PORT},bind=localhost,range=127.0.0.1/32,fork \
  SOCKS4A:127.0.0.1:${SERVER}:${PORT},socksport=9050 > ${TMP}/socat_log.$$ 2>&1 &

The questions are:

1. Shouldn't we also include
	socksuser=nobody
in the long socat line as well?

2. I have studied the socat man page, but still cannot figure out what
	bind=localhost
	range=127.0.0.1/32
are doing.  Can someone explain, or point me to an explanation?

3. In order to connect to $SERVER over Tor, the dns resolution has to
have already have occurred.  Which system is doing this?  Is it the
Tor exit node?  Is Tor exit node communicating with yet another system
that does the dns translation to numeric IP address?

Thanks

Whistler