Re: [tor-talk] Question about using Thunderbird + EnigMail/GnuPG

Anthony Papillion:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> A friend of mine recently read something (I don't know what) that made him think that there were some issue using Thunderbird with Tor that might compromise your anonymity. I told him I thought it was probably a configuration issue that could result in DNS leaking if not properly configured.
>
> Is Thunderbird safe to use with Tor?

You should look at TorBirdy[1], an extension to thunderbird that
functions the way TorButton does for Firefox.

It is an official Tor project[2]

> Also, what about EnigMail and GnuPG? I read something that said there could be some compromising issues using these with Tor as well. Is this true? What is the recommended workaround? Encrypt outside of email then copy/paste?

There are issues, and TorBirdy addresses them (read the wiki page [2]).

~abel

[1]: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/torbirdy/
[2]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/torbirdy