Re: [tor-talk] William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

On 1/12/2012 9:02 AM, Naslund, Steve wrote:
OK, there must be a lot more paranoid people out there than I thought
there were.  I personally don't have a "runaway kit" stashed away.  I
will get right on that. So when that "mouth breather cop" won't believe
you are innocent, your answer is to grab your stuff and go on the lamb
for awhile?  I am sure he will let you out to go to the bank, get your
stuff, and leave town.  I think you have seen way to many movies.

I agree the scenario you described is absurd, but I don't agree it's absurd to be paranoid or practical when your activities (like running an exit node) may result in you being raided.

I was raided in 2010 because of false allegations made by a cranky former employer. It was a very unpleasant experience and it's the reason why I run relays instead of exit nodes. The raid resulted in the seizure of all "electronic devices with storage capabilities" that were at my personal residence, in my vehicle, and on my person; it didn't include my hosted servers or offsite backups.

Unfortunately, this meant that my mobile phone (work and personal use), tablet (personal use), and laptop (work use) were seized because they were on me when the raid occurred. Fortunately, I'm paranoid/practical and had a mobile phone, laptop, and recent backups stored at my parents' house. Having these backups in place required a little effort and upfront cost, but it allowed me to return to work and studies with minimal disruption.