Re: [tor-talk] [RELEASE] Torsocks 2.0.0-rc2

On 05 Nov (20:44:08), adrelanos wrote:
> Lunar:
> > For those too lazy to build torsocks manually, I have just uploaded an
> > updated package to Debian experimental [1].
>
> Given that David said he plans to discuss a new name for torsocks
> soon... And also to keep compatibility with existing scripts...
> (torsocks changed a lot, config files are no longer compatible)

Yah that's an issue that needs also to be discussed. Right now, this
version of torsocks breaks the compatibility with the configuration
file. I thought of keeping the old one but then I just told myself that
considering a complete rewrite, let's take the opportunity to change
that conf. file and do it right (and more Tor centric). It might not
have been a good idea in the end but I'll let the community judge that
and it's totally possible to revert that.

> To make a clean transition from torsocks to <insert new name in here>,
> wouldn't it be better not to replace torsocks in Debian with the rewrite?
>
> I think the new package <insert new name in here> could enter the usual
> experimental -> sid -> testing and the old torsocks should just be
> removed from testing at some point (reason: dead upstream, superseded by
> <insert new name in here>).

In terms of new naming, I would personally *love* that but we have to be
careful with package that depends on torsocks and one comes into mind,
"parcimonie". So, if we decide that a new name is a good idea, packaging
needs to consider the transition and possible breakage.

Cheers!
David