Re: [tor-talk] New to TOR

On 11/17/2013 06:01 AM, SimBlip@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I received an account-ban from a web-site. I stood accused of
> violating challenge rules and was cut off from a community I had
> grown to love  dearly. I can no longer post messages and/or send
> private messages. I would like to re-enter this web-site under a new
> identity, but I am afraid it checks IP addresses. I was wondering if
> a program such as TOR could help me out.

First, as others have noted, you don't want to just add Tor. At a
minimum, install the Tor Browser Bundle.

The Tor Project publishes a list of Tor exit nodes. And your apparent IP
address changes at ten minute intervals, when Tor changes circuits.

Unless Tor use is common in your beloved community, you will stand out.
And if you come across as familiar with that community, your new
account(s) may be banned for ban evasion.

Whatever you do, it would be prudent to wait a while before doing it.
Also, have you contacted support with suitable apologies and promises to
be good?

> Would TOR affect my existing accounts with other web-sites? I do most
> of my shopping and banking over the Internet.

As others have noted, don't mix anonymous and non-anonymous activities
on the Tor Browser. Potential identity leakage is one risk. There's also
the risk that your banks and credit card providers will lock your
accounts after access from numerous Tor-exit IP addresses.

The simplest solution is using a different browser for non-anonymous
activities. As Roger noted, don't mess with the Tor browser.

A better solution would be installing VirtualBox and Whonix. That way,
your anonymous activities would be isolated in the Whonix workstation
VM, and your non-anonymous activities would be in the host machine.

> I have not downloaded TOR yet. How will I know it works if I do?

The Tor browser will tell you whether Tor is working or not.