Re: [tor-talk] "Safeplug"

I very rarely (if ever) comment on this list (I like to read and
learn).  That said, I've been looking into building a TOR router using
Pi.  This is because I have elements within my home that are
technically inept and thus are a danger to themselves and everyone
else (ageing parents...what can you say).  I've been planning a coup
by secretly replacing the current Tomato router with something like
the Pi (I've been unsuccessful in getting TOR to work on the Tomato
router).  The scare, to me, of buying a device is what is in there
(things that compromise TOR) but it does tempt me because I'm lazy
(probably the cause of my downfall).  Granted a router does not
guarantee safety from Grandpa downloading something bad that
compromises the router but one step at a time...right?

On 11/22/13, Sean Alexandre <sean@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 04:50:44PM +0600, Roman Mamedov wrote:
>> https://pogoplug.com/safeplug
>>
>> Someone should buy this and post a teardown. :)
>>
>> (via
>> http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/11/22/49-safeplug-tor-router-let-you-browse-the-net-anonymously/
>> )
>
> I think these kind of devices configured for Tor make good relays, but
> aren't
> great for anonymity. Tor anonymizes your IP address and DNS requests, but
> application protocols can still reveal your identity.
>
> From "Want Tor to really work?" [1]: "Tor does not protect all of your
> computer's Internet traffic when you run it.  Tor only protects your
> applications that are properly configured to send their Internet traffic
> through Tor. To avoid problems with Tor configuration, we strongly
> recommend
> you use the Tor Browser Bundle. It is pre-configured to protect your
> privacy
> and anonymity on the web as long as you're browsing with the Tor Browser
> itself. Almost any other web browser configuration is likely to be unsafe
> use with Tor."
>
> Articles like these [2,3] should talk about being good relays versus being
> good
> for anonymity.
>
> [1] https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en#warning
> [2]
> http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/11/22/49-safeplug-tor-router-let-you-browse-the-net-anonymously/
> [3] http://learn.adafruit.com/onion-pi/
> --

Interested in selling your home?  Ask me!