Re: [tor-talk] "Safeplug"

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 10:56:55 -0500
andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Out of all the concerns about how they implemented it and such, my
> main concern is that it just adds more clients to the network without
> giving back in the form of relays or bridges.

If these are all real people using and getting benefit from Tor, well then why
not, that's what it's for.

> Or at least, none of their documentation mentions the ability to share
> freedom and privacy with others.

It kind of does in the FAQ:

> Does Safeplug slow down my browsing?
> While using Safeplug, it is likely that you will notice reductions in your
> overall Internet speed and page-loading times. This is because your Internet
> traffic is being bounced to computers across the globe to make your Internet
> browsing impossible to trace. The good news is that the more people use Tor
> the faster the service runs, so by using Safeplug you are helping the Internet
> community protect itself from tracking and surveillance.

Which is one part I am a bit amazed at, "wait is this seriously configured as
a relay by default?" and if so, what about people's home connection bandwidth
caps, etc. (no warnings about this on the website).

--
With respect,
Roman