Re: [tor-talk] How secure is check.torproject.org?

Roger:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 06:04:54PM +1000, Katya Titov wrote:
>> But if we're talking about TBB then a local network attacker should
>> never see the request, just the resultant Tor traffic. Unless my
>> understanding is very off.
>
> If we're talking about TBB and it's working correctly, then there's no
> need to check if it's working correctly, right? :)

Well, yes, I guess so.

> Check.tp.o is from a time before TBB was standard, when users were
> trying to muck with their proxy settings, install an extension, or
> otherwise make their Tor work.

Yes, I remember the good old days ...

> If you trusted the old check, you should trust the new about:tor page
> in TBB 3 at least as much. It's more accurate, and it loads quicker
> too.

It certainly loads quicker. I'll need to trust that it's more accurate.

> As for having a network map for TBB 3, I agree in theory. But somebody
> needs to actually do it. Promising routes include writing it into Tor
> Launcher (harder to do, but easier to maintain and probably safer)
> or writing instructions for how best to attach your (old, eventually
> obsolete) Vidalia to your shiny new TBB 3.

Great idea, and so very easy. Just run TBB 3, and then run TBB 2.4. TBB
2.4 just simply connects and works. Network Map and New Identity both
work nicely. I can't stop FF from starting (well, I can, but not
cleanly) so any hints on that would be appreciated.

Thanks!
--
kat