[tor-talk] (maybe OT:) Dispute between RMS and WK on License Change for the GPH

Hi,

This is a bit OT, but it might be of interest here, too.

I don't know whether you follow the GnuPG mailing lists, but in case you
missed it: there has been a dispute between Richard Stallman and Werner
Koch on a license change for the GNU Privacy Handbook (GPH).
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gnupg/doc/63276?page=last

I don't know them personally, but usually their wording in the mailing
lists is much more balanced; however in this case, there's been things
said that make me very concerned about the future of GnuPG, like
> Werner:
> I have always spoken out in favor of the GNU project - maybe now is
> the time to reconsider.

Currently it seems that the discussion has stopped without solution (or
maybe the "solution" to rewrite the documentation from scratch. IMHO not
a real solution).

To me, GnuPG is a key infrastructure component (same as Tor and the GNU
Project) and it makes me concerned, that RMS and WK seem to have a
personal conflict (as the arguments very quickly rose to a personal level).

What do you think on that situation? Is there a possibility to bring
them back to the round table, or otherwise solve the problem?

I don't want to post this on the GnuPG list, as it could look like
voting for one side. Maybe, what I want to achieve is that people who
are in closer contact with RMS/WK know about the issue and talk to them.
Of course I didn't ask RMS nor WK whether they would accept (or need) a
third party to mediate.

Both sides have reasonable arguments for their positions and personally,
I don't feel authorized enough to vote for one side.