Re: [tor-talk] Open Source Router

On 11/27/2013 15:59, Ed Fletcher wrote:
There has been lots of discussion on this list about the Safeplug, which didn't garner much enthusiasm from the list members. I haven't seen this project mentioned:

http://www.orp1.com/

I think this very model buy-and-use isn't compatible with security because, as it was discussed before, there can be no proof of firmware being built from the particular source. So such simple commercial usage model can only rely on the authority of manufacturer, which in the modern world it can't realistically have.

Once you deviate from this buy-and-use model and move on to buy-reinstall-use, the first question is why would anybody even use the open sources of this manufacturer? Or even why whould anybody even use this hardware at all? You can just install OpenWRT or dd-wrt and tor on one of many existing router hardware be better off. All firmwares of particular manufacturers I saw were horrible, and also not-rooted. And there is no indication what the HW specs and price will be.

Generally, unless router hardware is truly open source (and again how can this really be?), tor run on the computer is much more secure IMO.

Yuri