Re: [tor-talk] Cloak Tor Router

Hi!

> > > Wouldn't that be solved by enabling:
> > > IsolateDestPort
> > > Donât share circuits with streams targetting a different destination port.
> > I do not think this actually solves it. For example there are many programs
> > which use HTTP even tough they have nothing to do with web browsing. Also
> > there are programs (like P2P) which use random ports and may cause lots of
> > circuits being established.
>
> Yes - P2P might actually lead this device to exhaust it's memory, but then again - P2P is not really encouraged on Tor in the first place for obvious reasons.  And yes - traffic from one client using the same protocol to the same server would probably always pass through the same circuit.

There are probable applications other that P2P which will trigger that
behaviour too. And circuits also consume network ressources, but there are
probably other people here who can give you better advise on this than me.

> I would think that is pretty unavoidable unless someone make a "IsolateSrcPort" in Tor.

If an application creates multiple outgoing connections, each of them usually
has a different source port. If the connections are to the same destination
host this is actually a requirement so data of different connections can be
distinguished. So this would almost mean "create a circuit for every new
connection".

> Do you reckon that would be a huge problem.  I do believe the primary concern here (as I understand it) is the following scenario:
>
> 1. You want to browse a web site anonymously
> 2. While you do that - some other application - say Windows Update - phone home

Yes, the scenario is something like this. I do not know how big the problem
is. But to break anonymity one tiny glitch is enough.

> If that traffic passed the same circuit you would be vulnerable at the exit node.  However, it is extremely unlikely that the server you were browsing anonymously is exactly the same server that another application were accessing, so this kind of traffic would already pass through different circuits and thus use different exit nodes.  Am I wrong here?

This would require IsolateDestAddr. This might have a serious impact on
performance and load (I cannot tell you how much).

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com