[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
[tor-talk] Tor 0.2.9.5-alpha is released
Hi, all! There is a new alpha release of the Tor source code, with
numerous bugfixes. We're getting closer to stable, but we still need
You can download the source from the usual place on the website.
Packages should be up within a few days.
Please remember to check the signature. Please also note that the
signature may be with a key you aren't familiar with. That's because
my PGP key changed a couple of months ago: see
for more information.
Changes in version 0.2.9.5-alpha - 2016-11-08
Tor 0.2.9.5-alpha fixes numerous bugs discovered in the previous alpha
version. We believe one or two probably remain, and we encourage
everyone to test this release.
o Major bugfixes (client performance):
- Clients now respond to new application stream requests immediately
when they arrive, rather than waiting up to one second before
starting to handle them. Fixes part of bug 19969; bugfix
o Major bugfixes (client reliability):
- When Tor leaves standby because of a new application request, open
circuits as needed to serve that request. Previously, we would
potentially wait a very long time. Fixes part of bug 19969; bugfix
o Major bugfixes (download scheduling):
- When using an exponential backoff schedule, do not give up on
downloading just because we have failed a bunch of times. Since
each delay is longer than the last, retrying indefinitely won't
hurt. Fixes bug 20536; bugfix on 0.2.9.1-alpha.
- If a consensus expires while we are waiting for certificates to
download, stop waiting for certificates.
- If we stop waiting for certificates less than a minute after we
started downloading them, do not consider the certificate download
failure a separate failure. Fixes bug 20533; bugfix
- Remove the maximum delay on exponential-backoff scheduling. Since
we now allow an infinite number of failures (see ticket 20536), we
must now allow the time to grow longer on each failure. Fixes part
of bug 20534; bugfix on 0.2.9.1-alpha.
- Make our initial download delays closer to those from 0.2.8. Fixes
another part of bug 20534; bugfix on 0.2.9.1-alpha.
- When determining when to download a directory object, handle times
after 2038 if the operating system supports them. (Someday this
will be important!) Fixes bug 20587; bugfix on 0.2.8.1-alpha.
- When using exponential backoff in test networks, use a lower
exponent, so the delays do not vary as much. This helps test
networks bootstrap consistently. Fixes bug 20597; bugfix on 20499.
o Minor features (geoip):
- Update geoip and geoip6 to the November 3 2016 Maxmind GeoLite2
o Minor bugfixes (client directory scheduling):
- Treat "relay too busy to answer request" as a failed request and a
reason to back off on our retry frequency. This is safe now that
exponential backoffs retry indefinitely, and avoids a bug where we
would reset our download schedule erroneously. Fixes bug 20593;
bugfix on 0.2.9.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (client, logging):
- Remove a BUG warning in circuit_pick_extend_handshake(). Instead,
assume all nodes support EXTEND2. Use ntor whenever a key is
available. Fixes bug 20472; bugfix on 0.2.9.3-alpha.
- On DNSPort, stop logging a BUG warning on a failed hostname
lookup. Fixes bug 19869; bugfix on 0.2.9.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (hidden services):
- When configuring hidden services, check every hidden service
directory's permissions. Previously, we only checked the last
hidden service. Fixes bug 20529; bugfix the work to fix 13942
o Minor bugfixes (portability):
- Fix compilation with OpenSSL 1.1 and less commonly-used CPU
architectures. Closes ticket 20588.
- Use ECDHE ciphers instead of ECDH in tortls tests. LibreSSL has
removed the ECDH ciphers which caused the tests to fail on
platforms which use it. Fixes bug 20460; bugfix on 0.2.8.1-alpha.
- Fix implicit conversion warnings under OpenSSL 1.1. Fixes bug
20551; bugfix on 0.2.1.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (relay bootstrap):
- Ensure relays don't make multiple connections during bootstrap.
Fixes bug 20591; bugfix on 0.2.8.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (relay):
- Work around a memory leak in OpenSSL 1.1 when encoding public
keys. Fixes bug 20553; bugfix on 0.0.2pre8.
- Avoid a small memory leak when informing worker threads about
rotated onion keys. Fixes bug 20401; bugfix on 0.2.6.3-alpha.
- Do not try to parallelize workers more than 16x without the user
explicitly configuring us to do so, even if we do detect more than
16 CPU cores. Fixes bug 19968; bugfix on 0.2.3.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (single onion services):
- Start correctly when creating a single onion service in a
directory that did not previously exist. Fixes bug 20484; bugfix
o Minor bugfixes (testing):
- Avoid a unit test failure on systems with over 16 detectable CPU
cores. Fixes bug 19968; bugfix on 0.2.3.1-alpha.
- Clarify that setting HiddenServiceNonAnonymousMode requires you to
also set "SOCKSPort 0". Fixes bug 20487; bugfix on 0.2.9.3-alpha.
- Module-level documentation for several more modules. Closes
tickets 19287 and 19290.
tor-talk mailing list - tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To unsubscribe or change other settings go to