Re: [tor-talk] Cameras

The problem with blocking the camera in software is that it can then be
unblocked in software (and still potentially without your permission).

There have been examples in the past where others have been able to change
behaviour so that the camera's light doesn't come on to warn the user that
it's recording.

In the absence of being able to disconnect the camera, the only way to be
certain is to physically obstruct the lens, hence the stickers.

But, if you want to find out which process is using the camera (assuming
it's using v4l), you can do something along the lines of

fuser /dev/video0

Which should give you the pid of whatever process is using it.

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 7:05 PM, Flipchan <flipchan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have been searching around and cant seem to find any code for blocking
> access to the Camera on a computer.
> I think this is weird because i can find alot of people that sell stickers
> that You put in front of ur laptop Camera. I think a logical way would be
> to chmod the Camera to only be able to run by root or some user or
> something simular, does anyone know if there is any program or code that
> blocks the Camera or tells which process is useing it.
>
> Take Care //Flipchan
> --
> Sincerly flipchan - LayerProx dev
> --