Re: (FWD) Tor, Socks bind, and BitTorrent

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 03:27:25PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> [Yes, 009pre1 and later cache the directory locally, and use that to
> start up more reliably. Note that the directory includes more information
> than just "the list of ORs" -- e.g. it also includes which ones are up
> right now, their exit policies, etc. So having a fresh copy is always
> handy. -RD]

Also, note that dirservers will give out just a summary of who's up
right now. See, e.g., http://moria.seul.org:9031/tor/running-routers

So in theory you could fetch a new directory a few times a day, and
fetch an updated running-routers more frequently. We just haven't yet
gotten around to teaching clients that they should automatically do this.

--Roger