Re: Wikipedia and Tor - a solution in the works?

cyphrpunk wrote:
> Running the authentication server will take a certain amount of
> commitment on the part of the operator. He must respond to complaints
> fairly and expeditiously, and maintain the blacklist. He needs to set
> his policies for exit connections, and for how to make it expensive to
> create new accounts. It would nevertheless be a highly useful service
> for anonymous users and would therefore increase the spread of
> anonymity.

It is worth noting, too, that for services like Wikipedia and most
blogs, services which value privacy, the mechanism need not be perfect.
 A little bit of spam, a little bit of vandalism... this can be
tolerated with ease, because after all, we get that sort of thing from
all sorts of sources.

Indeed, if we know that there are good users, users needing privacy,
users we care about, coming in through a mechanism, then so long as it
isn't too horrible, it can still be much worse than the average AOL ip
(for example).

--Jimbo