Re: Fwd: [sorbs.net #51340] Need help with 81.169.156.174 (support form)

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 06:59:50AM +0100, Kristian Köhntopp wrote:
> SORBS lists tor entry nodes as "trojaned machines" in their black lists.

Right. SORBS is pretty much a one-man project, and this "Mat" fellow
adds all services to his list that in his opinion shouldn't exist.

Tor is such a service -- we had a long discussion with him when he first
started listing Tor servers, and the conclusion was that he wanted Tor
to go away, so he's doing what he can to kill it.

I used to think that I could reason with Mat and get him to update his
software so he didn't mark you as a spammer (port 25) just because your
Tor server could make connections on other ports (e.g. port 6667). I've
given up on that, though.

So what's the right strategy? Certainly the first step is to not use
SORBS, and to tell everybody we know not to. Maybe we should publicize
things farther, and use some of our google-juice to start waging war on
his project?

But I'm tempted not to do anything at all, and just let him die quietly
away. I'm constantly amazed to find mail sites that pay attention to his
blacklist. Didn't they learn their lesson from previous blacklists that
went evil and suddenly started listing large chunks of the Internet?

I guess history is destined to repeat itself. Don't be caught letting
some guy in Australia decide what mail you can receive and what mail
you can't receive.

--Roger